Super little furry animals, funny fish, clumsy frogs etc etc etc ...

Wednesday 23 April 2008

Extraordinarily Tame Grandfather Roborovski

This robo is 3 years old, which equates to 65 years + in robbieyears... he's obviously extremely tame and used to being handled. Roborovskis are unusual in that, unless accustomed to handling at a very young age (and I do mean young ~ 3, 4 weeks or so) they won't generally grow up to enjoy being picked up etc. Of my three, Itchy is the only one who will willingly walk about on my hands etc. Even she doesn't particularly like the action of being picked up and the other two hate it. Spherical is so suspicious of me sometimes she panicks in sheer terror the moment I put my hand in the tank ~ sometimes ~ (that is quite ordinary roborovski behaviour by the way, these are very flighty little critters and though extraordinarily cute will not normally make suitable pets for young children who want an animal that will play with them. Roborovskis are highly sociable and perform all manner of entertaining climbings, diggings, washings, wheel-runnings etc together. Each time they meet they perform a "kissing" greeting which looks really funny... But they much prefer the company of one another to human company.) At best my robos are tame enough to let me stroke them while dozing or sleeping (don't ever poke a Syrian hamster in its sleep though! Deep sleepers, they are grumpy when awoken in the day and will gnash their teeth and may well lunge at you and bite!)... anyway here's the film. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Mari said...

Didn't know where to leave you an answer, so I did it here ;)
Trondheim is the city in the middle of Norway (and the best place of course), and Tromsø is in the North of Norway.

Thank for nice comments about my horse - he has been very ill so he is a lucky horse who still is alive. (haha, bad english ? )

Gledwood said...

Hi. I gave your blog a shout on my main one Gledwood Vol 2. I hope the horse stays well, he is a beautiful beast ;->...